David’s first long distance trip in his new van was this past Wednesday to UMass Memorial Children’s Medical Center Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in Worcester Mass.
David wanted to thank the staff for their excellent care they provided him while he was there.
In preparation for the trip and as a thank you gift, David and his Friend Brianna baked cookies to give to the staff at the hospital.
Back in September of 2011, while at the hospital, David was chosen has the “HERO OF THE MONTH”. However, because of circumstances, David had to leave the hospital before he could be presented with the award.
The “HERO OF THE MONTH” award is given to children who have shown courage & spirit in overcoming difficult circumstances and are an inspiration to all of us.
On Wednesday David was presented with the award by Frances Wood, Child Life Specialist at UMass Memorial Children’s Medical Center.
It was a Great Day. David enjoyed visiting with the staff. It was good to see everyone again.
We thank Dr. Bateman and his Pediatric Intensive Care Unit team for their excellent care and help in getting David started on his Journey to Recovery.
David’s Dad, Paul
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS.
The Hero of the Month award is made possible by “Kids Wish Network“
I actually got to go to physical therapy with David on Thursday and watch him work out. He continues to work his upper body so he will eventually be able to work a manual wheelchair. He is up to 13 and 3/4 pounds with his left arm and 3-3/4 pounds on the right.
All through therapy David would challenge himself to do more.
While at PT he got to spend time with a therapy dog which took an instant liking to him.
Lots more work to do every day.
Stay tuned ….
More Information to follow.
Dave’s Dad Paul
– This past weekend David was able to move his right thumb for the first time in 11 months. He was able to move it back and forth a little. I missed out on seeing it. In a short period of time he had exhausted his thumb muscle. David also has been working on his abs. On his right side he is starting to feel an ab muscle that works.
– David is still working out daily
– YEAH! David is back on the road again! This past Sunday we got the title to Dave’s new van. On Monday we got it registered. Thank you Sambor family!
– We are moving forward with the house. Mike, a family friend and architect, is putting some plans together to renovate the house to meet David’s needs. Hope to have builders bidding on the work within 2 weeks.
– Yeah! got my camera back. Should be getting new photos out shortly.
Stay tuned. I will be posting more info in the near future.
Thank you for your support,
David’s Dad Paul